‘Tis the season for laughter, love and messes! During the holidays, we love nothing more than entertaining our friends, family and sometimes their pets! Of course this is fun for us, but it’s not as fun for your floors! Here are 7 cost-effective, chemical-free DIY ways to clean your flooring:
- Hardwood – Wood floors are a classic addition to any home. However, it’s not so easy to hide smudges and other messes. There are many different recipes for wood floor cleaners, however will leave your floors shiny and smelling like the holidays: Mix 1 gallon of warm water with 1 cup of vinegar and 10 drops of peppermint essential oil! Source.
- Carpet – Plush carpeting is soft and inviting, particularly during the winter! Unfortunately, stains are impossible to avoid, pet hair gets embedded into the carpet, and everyday traffic creates natural wear and tear. Here is a fool-proof and powerful DIY carpet cleaner for hard-to-clean messes: Mix 1 teaspoon of dish washing soap, 1 tablespoon of white vinegar, 1 cup of warm water and 1 teaspoon of baking soda in a spray bottle. For detailed instructions, click here!
- Vinyl – This type of flooring is versatile and durable, but that doesn’t mean it’s safe from dirt and stains! To ensure a spotless look on your vinyl floors, mix 1 gallon of hot water, 2 tablespoons of white vinegar, 2 teaspoons of castile soap, 2 tablespoons of Arm + Hammer washing soda and 10-20 drops of an essential oil of your choice! Look here for further instructions.
- Tile – Whether it’s on your floor, in your tub or used as a kitchen backsplash, tile is easily subject to grime and dirt! This recipe offers an aromatic and effective way to clean your tile with ease. Mix ¾ cup of baking soda, ¼ cup of lemon juice, 3 tablespoons of salt, 3 tablespoons of dishwashing liquid, ½ cup of vinegar and 10 drops of essential oil of your choice for optional fragrance. For further direction, visit here.
- Laminate – Finding an effect cleaner is a common problem for homeowners with laminate floors because streak-free, store-bought cleaners are hard to come by. However, this simple, two-ingredient recipe rinses clean and gives your laminate floor a shine you dream about! Fill a spray bottle with half hot water and half vinegar. Mop, and you’re done! Source.
- Marble – Marble floors are finally back in style! This, of course, means an expert DIY cleaner is a must! Ensure all of your marble floors and surfaces are free of dirt and smudging by mixing 1/3 fabric softener with 2/3 portion of water in a spray bottle. Follow these steps by wiping the spray down with a soft cloth, then buffing dry. For more intense cleaning jobs, visit here.
- Cork – These environmentally friendly floors are a great, semi-soundproof flooring option. Luckily, their cleaning regimen is low-maintenance. All it requires is ordinary soap and water! These detailed instructions will help you keep your cork floors in the best shape possible.
Maintaining beautiful, shiny and clean floors can be a chore, particularly with all of the foot traffic that accompanies the holiday season. There’s no need to purchase pricey cleaning supplies that could damage your floors when you most likely have everything you need for a DIY fix. These easy recipes will help keep your floors looking spotless and smelling great for your guests!
Feature photo: Laura U Interior Design